The Blue Racing Team consists of about 20 students from University Windesheim, which is located in Zwolle. The students in the team have different educational backgrounds by studying different majors, such as Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Communication and others. Every year we take part in the competition involving innovation, technology and sustainability. www.blueracingteam.com
After a long vacation there is a new team ready to take on the challenge of completing the Bluefinger! While all hope on finishing the car was lost due to the Coronavirus outbreak, there were still some little things that could be done. In this post we will show you these little things, as well as the progress that has been made before the outbreak.
The biggest progress that has been made is connecting the different bodypanels in a more permanent way. We installed nine clamps that connect the three pieces together. This way the car can be disassembled with two people in a short amount of time. The second thing that has been done is the wheel wells in carbon fiber. These will be protecting the driver and the sensitive electronics. In this picture you can see the floor of the car. This panel is bolted to the frame. In addition to the carbon fiber wheel wells we installed some ventilation to keep the driver cool on a hot day.
The next picture shows the freshly installed windows, which are made of polycarbonate. This material is both lightweight and very safe in case of a crash. Our dashboard has been moved to the side, to allow for more visibility. The steering wheel is placed as low as possible for the same reason. This wheel is mounted to a quick release coupling, making getting in and out of the car a little bit easier and quicker.
This year we have plans to finish the car and test as much as possible. To finish the car there is still a lot of work that has to be done to be able to compete in the Shell Ecomarathon. For example, we need to mount mirrors, front and rear lights, a horn, windscreen wipers and a bunch of other little bits.
The new team consists of 2th and 3th year mechanical and electrical engineering students. We hope to give more information about the people behind this project and the different things they are goning to be working on in a future post. Of course we are gratefull for the sponsors we are able to have on this project. They give us a lot of information and parts that are used on the car. We have already made contact with some of these sponsors that have supported us last year, such as JENG and JODIWO.
We will inform you on the progress of the car on this site and our social media channels as much as possible. See you there!
During the Windesheim “Bedrijfsprojectweek” or company project week, we worked fulltime on the Bluefinger, and here are the results:
The shell is almost completed with functioning doors and front window, we made incredible progress on our carbon fiber disk wheels, and the steering system has been almost completely rebuilt out of carbon fiber.
The carbon fiber shell
Prototyping foam cores for the carbon fiber disk wheels
Sadly we have to announce that the Blue racing team won’t be able to take part in the Shell Eco-marathon of 2019. To ensure the quality of the car and safety of our team we have decided to postpone our participation to the Shell Eco-marathon of 2020.
We concluded that it was too dangerous and too risky to finish the hull within the current time available.
We would like to thank our sponsors, and wish the best of luck to all teams participating in the Shell Eco-marathon of 2019.
Today is the first day of the race so we want to update you on how everything goes! So first things first, we arrived in London on Sunday evening, we build our camp for the coming week. On Monday we checked into the paddock and build this place up aswell.
Then on Tuesday technical inspection started, a little bit sooner than expected. But fortunately we were ready, within the day we were approved for the track, as first Dutch team this year!
Wednesday was the first test day. We got in line early so we were the very first team who set wheels on the track. We did three runs and a total laps of 30 laps. Thursday we had the last two test possibilities, here we did 25 laps. Everything went quite smoothly
Thursday was the first race day. With the experience of the previous days we were quite confident in our car and the outcome. The first heat was one to qualify and make sure that we are able to come back to the Shell Eco Marathon next year. For the second heat we made some alterations to the car, this paid of a little bit. Now we’re preparing for the last two heats.